WE DO NOT SHIP PRODUCTS OUTSIDE EUROPE
Coconut milk is not the liquid inside a coconut, although this liquid does make a satisfying drink. Rather, coconut milk is made by squeezing the grated flesh of a coconut with some hot water resulting in a rich white liquid that looks very much like cow's milk.
Coconut milk should be distinguished from coconut cream. Fresh coconut milk, when refrigerated, and canned coconut milk, if not shaken, separates into two layers, with the thick (upper) layer being the coconut cream and the thinner (bottom) layer constituting the milk. The top layer can be skimmed off with a spoon and used for recipes requiring coconut cream (usually desserts) with the bottom layer being reserved for recipes specifying coconut milk.
Canned, frozen and powdered coconut milk are widely available, convenient to use and generally of acceptable quality. However, they do not generally achieve quite the quality of coconut milk prepared at home from fresh or desiccated coconut.
For those who might want to try preparing coconut milk at home, the following provides instructions for doing so.
A: Preparing Coconut Milk from Fresh Coconuts
- Pierce the eyes of a fresh coconut, drain the liquid inside and place the coconut on a rack and bake in a 325F pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the coconut from the oven, let it cool a bit and crack it with a hammer so that the shell breaks into several pieces.
- Remove all the coconut meat from the shell, peel off the brown skin and cut the meat into very small cubes.
- Place the meat in a blender, add hot water to just cover all of the meat and blend until finely grated.
- Place a sieve covered with cheese cloth over a bowl and pour the coconut meat and water into the sieve squeezing handfuls of the coconut meat to extract as much liquid as possible into the bowl.
- Discard the squeezed coconut meat and refrigerate the coconut milk that has been extracted into the bowl. Refrigerate the milk and use within 1 or 2 days.
B: Preparing Coconut Milk from Desiccated coconut.
- Empty an 8 oz package of unsweetened desiccated coconut into a blender and add 1 cup boiling water.
- Blend for about 30 seconds and allow the mixture to cool a bit.
- Place a sieve over a bowl lined with cheese cloth.
- Ladle the mixture into the cheese cloth, fold the edges over the coconut meat and twist the ends to extract as much milk as you can into the bowl.
- Discard the squeezed coconut meat and refrigerate the coconut milk that has been extracted into the bowl. Refrigerate the milk and use within 1 or 2 days.ï¿½
Recipe Courtesy of http://www.all-organic-food.com/index.htm
COCONUT OIL QUICK BUY
|If you don't have a PayPal account you can
check out with your debit or credit card as usual
by clicking on the 'check out' button and then on
'Don't have a PayPal Account?'
Prices include shipping charges
We do not ship to destinations outside Europe.
If you place an order from outside the EU then your payment
will be refunded less any applicable handling charges.
Best Before date on current stock is 01/2014
Please be sure you've read our Terms & Conditions and Distance Selling Regulations before purchasing. No responsibility will be taken for personal taste. Each batch of coconut oil can vary in taste and fragrance depending on the prevailing growing conditions.